Monday, February 16, 2009

Lab Monday

Today I had two students with me for the entire day. I am slowly figuring things out clinically. The students like to see me fail first and then help later. They seem to think it is funny. I am taking it as a good sign that they are starting to accept me.

After lunch I took a call from a mom, whose 4 month old was having a seizure. She put her baby into the hood of her coat, hopped on to her snowmobile and made their way down to the health centre pretty darn quick. I helped triage the baby whose temp was 41, heart rate 240, and clearly very uncomfortable. They recently had to medivac four babies to Montreal with meningitis so they were on pretty high alert for this little girl. So incredible watching the nurses and the doctor all working together as a team, blood work, an iv, O2 sats, antibiotics. One nurse was even giving the baby a cool sponge bath. They were all so sweet to the baby and so respectful to the mom. Seems by the end of the day they were happy with her and diagnosed a probable urinary tract infection, to be kept overnight and treated locally.

It was a good day and went by very quickly.

I will get some pics of the nurses and the doc soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment