Monday, February 9, 2009

First Day of Clinic




Walking to work this morning watched a 'sundog' peeking over the mountain as the sun attempted it's slow climb.

Monday is lab day. This means that everyone in the entire village who needs some labs done are supposed to come before 11:30 so that the tubes can be spun and prepared and can get to the plane for the afternoon flight. The system seems to work.

The midwife that I am replacing (Jennie) left also on the afternoon plane. The midwifery student of the afternoon disappeared for seemingly an eternity and I was left trying to figure out what today with three women who showed up at once. One client helped me find a form for another client because she knew where we kept them. Confidentiality does not seem to exist, nor does seem to need to exist.

The health centre is buzzing with various health care needs: one family doc, 4 or five nurses, a dentist, maternity, social services. The offices of social services seem to take up most of the square footage.

It was a very pleasant day and I took the long route home to say hello to my new friends: 4 huskies and two puppies.

4 comments:

  1. Where do the births take place? Are there any at home? I am hoping there were no "sleeping" dogs...Thinking of you, Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I was trying to remember who told me the tip of the sleeping dog! I am going to take some pics today of the health centre and the Maternity and I'll show you were they birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how cold and picturesque it is! I can believe that you have already befriended 6 dogs! I love your story of figuring things out with the help of the client! You're such a survivor.
    Love Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Post more pictures!
    PPS The kids are going to show me how to use my webcam!

    ReplyDelete