Friday, May 1, 2009

Spring in Salluit

I'm back for a five week stint. Much harder for the kids and Alex to say goodbye this time as the novelty of "mummy going to the arctic" has worn off.

Although it is technically the beginning of spring, currently there is a pretty impressive storm happening and it is about -17. By the time I leave, the snow will be gone and the ice will start its steady retreat.

Everyone in the village is itching to get out fishing and many villagers have gone camping this weekend on a fishing trip.

No signs of the caribou but tens of thousands are expected soon.

Been busy at the maternity with a medivac for a probable appendicitis late last night. Have a 34 weeker threatening preterm labour with increasing blood pressure so could be a busy weekend and one woman is showing ominous signs of an MS diagnosis. I feel more like a GP than a midwife today.

I am sitting in my old apartment stealing the internet as my internet is not up and running in the newly renovated (and spacious) midwife's house. No cable yet either, and the burners on the brand new stove went caput in the middle of my curry. Somewhat bummed.

No pics yet - sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your family's sadness with your departure, but you're doing very important work, and you'll be back soon enough.

    It's really quite amazing that you're taking on this challenge of bringing important medical services to the Greater White North. I'm also glad that you are blogging about it. It's truly educational and appreciated.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete